A guide to pairing your phone with Yoto Player and creating family accounts.
What is Pairing?
During the Yoto Player setup process, on the Yoto app, you will be given the option to pair your phone with Yoto Player. This process associates your user account and the Yoto Player.
This is a useful thing to do for lots of reasons.
Reasons to pair a phone with Yoto Player
- See your cards in the app - and play them, either remotely on Yoto Player (without even using the cards), or directly on your phone
- Get instant access to card purchases - buy cards on the Yoto Card Store, and play them on Yoto Player using the app before the cards arrive in the post (find out more)
- Manage Player settings - and control features behind the scenes, like setting sleep and wake times and customising the colour of the nightlight
- Create a family account - when another user then pairs with the same Yoto Player - most likely a second parent or guardian - they will join this family account, and both of you can see and play all the cards your family owns, as well as manage Player settings
- Add another Yoto Player - if you buy a second Yoto Player, you can pair it to the same family account and then all paired users will be able to see all paired Yoto Players
Pairing a phone as the first person setting up Yoto Player
If you are setting up Yoto Player for the first time, select the 'Set up a Yoto Player' option when you open the app, and follow the instructions from there (see our full guide here). You will be given the option to pair towards the end of that process.
If you enter the app by choosing to Continue to the App before starting the set up process, you can find the start of the setup process by navigating to Menu > Setup a Yoto Player.
Here is the screen you will see towards the end of the setup process. To pair your phone simply select the pair my phone button.
Pairing as a second user and joining a family account
If a partner has already set up your Yoto Player and got it online and working, and has paired to it, this will have set up a family account. You can now join this family account. When you do this, both of you can see and play all the cards your family owns, as well as manage Player settings.
You should use your own credentials when you sign up in the app, not those of the first person to set up the Yoto Player.
To pair to an existing Yoto Player and join a family account, start the 'Join a Family Account' process as shown above, then follow the instructions in the app. This will involve some similar steps to the full setup process, but will be much shorter as you will not have to get the Player online.
Yoto will just need to verify you have access to the Player, by asking for the six letter security code generated on the front of the Player, then you will be given the option to join the existing family account. You will see in the app the details of other members in the family account at the point where you join.
What your account will look like in the app, once set up
Once you have paired with Yoto Player as the first user, or joined a family account as the second user, you can then see the details of this by navigating to the Players tab in the app. There you will see the details of all paired users and all paired Yoto Players.
You will also be able to enter the Settings screen for each Yoto Player you own, in order to manage settings and personalise features.
If you get stuck or the Player or app is behaving in a different way described above, please visit our Troubleshooter